Re: [css3-selectors][css3-ui] Status of the ::selection pseudo-element

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:43:13 +0400, Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/1/12 01:03, L. David Baron wrote:
>> On Thursday 2012-01-12 04:41 +0800, Daniel Tan wrote:
>>> Last I heard, it sort of got cut due to implementation headaches
>>> of some sort, related to performance, nesting and so on. I'm quite
>>> curious; could somebody elaborate on this for me?
>>
>> I think one of the reasons was also that the exact behavior was
>> never really defined, and it wasn't clear what it should be.  In
>> particular, the open questions I had are described in
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Oct/0268.html .
>>
>> -David
>>

> Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but it looks like most of these
> problems are related with ::selection being a new pseudo-element. How
> about a new property instead?
>
> selection: <color>{1,3} | auto;
>
> First color would be background-color, second color would be text color,
> third color could be text-shadow color.
> Future versions could introduce more parameters.
>
> It would also be kinda on par with the new `caret` property in css4-ui
> which will also be explored IIRC.

What about text-shadow, text-decoration? While it's common to leave
text-decoration since it have currentColor, text-shadow is much worse.

When you have white text-shadow on the black text it looks very nice
until one select the text. But selection of such text is very ugly
by default on Windows: a white text with white shadow and blue background.

Moreover, one of Webkit bugs is that it stops applying system default
selection color and background if you just set
   ::selection { text-shadow:none }
On the other hand, Opera doesn't apply text-shadow to ::selection.