Re: A CSS equivalent of HTML's DOCTYPE trigger

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:44:46 -0800
To: Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org Style" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 January 2012 17:23, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I played around with the example, and even removing padding completely
>>> on the list items, I couldn't seem to get them all on one line with
>>> the default font. The font sizes are just too different.
>>
>> That's curious.  It worked great for me.
>>
>> ~TJ
>
> I dunno, this is what I see:
>
> http://www.brillskills.com/img/with-font.png
> http://www.brillskills.com/img/no-font.png
>
> Are you sure you didn't accidentally disable the 125%/1.3 size
> declaration in the font property when you removed the MelbourneRegular
> reference?

Whoops, that's exactly what I did.  Yeah, when I keep that set
correctly, the text is just too wide in the system sans-serif.  Dang.

(Note that your result is because the <li>s are still set to
display:inline, so they're all put together inside of a single
table-cell or flexbox item.  If you turn off that line or set them to
display:block or list-item, they'll stay on one line, but they'll all
run together and slightly overflow.)

So yeah, Matthew, your example does indeed need more than what I
thought.  Your font is so narrow!