Re: Forums

* JonRimmer wrote:
>Wow, this seems very impressive. If you sign-up, they even have the ability
>to post via a web interface (attempting to use that to post this reply).

When I look at and attempt to use that "Nabble" interface, I am shocked
and horrified and can't really imagine anyone would use this to partici-
pate in www-style discussions for a prolonged period of time. As far as
I can tell, mail and netnews clients have always been much better than
this. The interaction required there to navigate through mails plus the
load times alone mean that I would have to spend over ten times as much
time reading mails as I do currently, and I am already writing my own
client because I find the client I currently use the most inefficient.

>Given this already exists, there doesn't seem much point in trying to
>enhance the W3C's own archives to a similar level. It could be made more
>discoverable though, perhaps by linking to it from the working group
>homepage?

Some years ago I actually tried following a few W3C mailing lists by way
of the list archives. After a couple of days it became cleat that only a
crazy person would do that, and I wrote a script that turns the archives
into proper mails and uploads them to my regular email account; that was
made much easier when the W3C added an mbox-download option, so I wrote
another script that would make a HTTP range request for the mbox content
and spool the new mails and another script that would upload them to my
regular email account via IMAP; particularily useful when I wanted the
whole archive of a list in my mailbox (so the problem you have to go out
of the regular medium to access archives does not exist for me).

The point being, if you dislike mailing lists, but like "Nabble", and so
suggest that a mailing list should be converted to something Nabble-ish,
you probably should explain your reasoning much more vividly than what
we have seen in this thread, like posting a video of how it is like for
you to use the mailing list with your normal programs and services, as
you otherwise might be advocating to people who cannot relate to your
pain.