Re: [css3-text] graphical effects and text-decoration

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>wrote:

> For CSS3, I'm attempting to define this. Considering the painting model
> (which
> puts decorations immediately over/under the text), I think it makes the
> most
> sense for 'visibility' to affect a piece of text and its text-decorations
> together, even though the color and position are taken from the decorating
> ancestor.

That sounds reasonable, especially because Gecko behaves that way :-).

Related questions come up though: what about 'text-shadow'?

What about other graphical effects, like filters? 'opacity'?

A future property for filling text
> with a pattern? Should these all have the same answer?

For consistency, yes.

I can't think of any reason authors would want to have filters or opacity
not apply to text decorations. Possibly authors might want to apply
text-shadow or fill-with-pattern differently to the decorations, but we
could mint new properties (similar to 'text-decoration-color') if that was
desirable. Note that SVG defines 'fill' to apply equally to both text and
its decorations.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us