[css3-text] graphical effects and text-decoration

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 17:41:25 -0500
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
In CSS2.1 we deferred dealing with how 'visibility' affects text decorations.

For CSS3, I'm attempting to define this. Considering the painting model (which
puts decorations immediately over/under the text), I think it makes the most
sense for 'visibility' to affect a piece of text and its text-decorations
together, even though the color and position are taken from the decorating
ancestor.

Related questions come up though: what about 'text-shadow'? What about other
graphical effects, like filters? 'opacity'? A future property for filling text
with a pattern? Should these all have the same answer?

~fantasai