Re: % is not a valid unit for border-width

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 13:43:26 -0800
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

Le Jeu 5 janvier 2012 12:24, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :

>  A reasonable constructed
> example with an explanation of how percentage border widths would help
> will suffice.
>
> ~TJ

CSS Border Design Challenge
http://ago.tanfa.co.uk/css/borders/

With a percentage unit for border, I believe there would have been more
creative possibilities.

----------

TJ> should percentage
TJ> borders be relative to their respective dimension, or always relative
TJ> to the width (like percentage padding is)?

I believe it should be always relative to the width of the containing
block. Just like percentage padding. Just like percentage margin.

"
The percentage is calculated with respect to the width of the generated
box's containing block. Note that this is true for 'margin-top' and
'margin-bottom' as well. If the containing block's width depends on this
element, then the resulting layout is undefined in CSS 2.1.
"
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#margin-properties

"
The percentage is calculated with respect to the width of the generated
box's containing block, even for 'padding-top' and 'padding-bottom'. If
the containing block's width depends on this element, then the resulting
layout is undefined in CSS 2.1.
"
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#padding-properties

Btw, I have created and submitted one test on this because 2
acid2test-compliant browsers were failing it and for test suite
coverageability, testability of statements:

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/border-width-013.htm

regards, Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011