Re: Forums

On 01/05/2012 01:55 PM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> @Boris
>
> Isn't that a false arguemnt, in two ways?
>
> 1) You can't participate ina discussion offline because you can at
> best only author a comment on what may be old thread content. You're
> not tlaking to anyone, you're composing messages to old content.

Sure you can. You put your client into offline mode, compose your messages
and hit send, and when you reconnect it sends your messages and pulls the
new ones.

My mail client can also let me draft messages, save them, and come back to
them later, and do other sophisticated things that HTML forums can only
dream of.

> 2) Is it really a big use case for people using the lists that they
> are disconnected from the internet whilst doing www-style work?
> Seriously? I can only believe it's a tiny minority of cases where that
> is true, and the work-around of "offline" is subject to the problems
> of 1.

Very. I'm frequently working while offline, and much of that involves
accessing www-style.

> Get the same benefit by subscribing to forum RSS and having that pull
> down to a reader on your machine.

Absolutely not. I cannot reply to an RSS feed, and it is not threaded.

> There is nothing that email is doing that a forum can not also do. Better.

See François Remy's replies. And bzbarsky's.

~fantasai