Re: [CSS21] Default table border width in collapsing border model

From: Christian Roth <roth@visualclick.de>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 21:15:08 +0100
Hello,

thanks for the answers on my question. I am beginning to see how this is all meant, though I am still having a hard time to deduce this from what's actually written and drawn in the accompanying images in the spec.

What I failed to realize is that the table box is considered to have a virtual border (which is never explicitly specified in a stylesheet), whose color is transparent, and whose widths for the four sides (in the spec called - misleadingly, because the overlapping of the term "initial" with "initial value" of properties - "initial table border widths") are calculated by the algorithm given in 17.6.2. Also, this virtual border is *not* centered on the cell grid, but lies outside (hence only half of the first cell's border width for the left border).

I think the above is the key fact that I was missing. If this is (again...) wrong, please let me know. Otherwise, I will go on from there and consider my question resolved.

Thank you,
Christian