Re: line-height suggestions and easier alignment

Le Mer 4 janvier 2012 11:27, Peter Sorotokin a écrit :
> Just to add two cents here: mismatch in leading model (and in vertical
> spacing) is indeed a huge pain for tools like InDesign.

Peter,

I do not understand why you are not the first person to say that Adobe
tool like InDesign is not perfectly, entirely compliant with CSS 2.1 to
begin with, to start with and it should be entirely compliant with CSS 2.1
(and possibly ATAG 1.0). Standards are mutually beneficial to compliant
parties.
There is no compatibility/incompatibility problems (headaches, nightmares)
if we all follow and implement W3C web standards.

> It can be
> partially worked around (if there are no backgrounds) with negative
> margins, but not in paginated or multi-column environment. There needs to
> be another property that would control top margin of the elements that
> have page/column/region break inside them (call it margin-top-break).
> Currently margin is defined to be zero in such cases.

Which cases?

User agent stylesheet have default margin values for various elements.

eg.
p {margin: 1em 0em;}
h1 {margin: 0.67em 0em;}
etc.

CSS2.1 User Agent Style Sheet Defaults
http://css-class.com/test/css/defaults/UA-style-sheet-defaults.htm

and

Appendix D. Default style sheet for HTML 4 (informative, not normative)
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/sample.html

provide more information on all this.

> If leading model is going to become more flexible,

I am inclined to be against adding anything else  until the problems
listed, carefully explained with regards to section 10.8 of CSS 2.1 are
not addressed to begin with. Anything else added into the leading model
(CSS3) needs to be extremely very well justified, substantiated.

regards, Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite