Re: [css3-regions] regions forming stacking contexts

On 12/26/11 3:58 PM, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>    # Regions create a new stacking context. [...]
>    # With regions, an element may be split across multiple regions and these
>    # regions may overlap (for example if they are absolutely positioned).
>    # So fragments of the same element can overlap each other.
>    # Since each element has a single z-index, it would be required to find
>    # another mechanism to decide in which order the fragments are rendered.
>    # Since each region creates a new stacking context, it is clear that each
>    # region is rendered separately and their rendering order follows the
>    # regular CSS rendering model.
>
> Fragments of the same element can overlap each other already due to inline
> breaking, so this situation is not unique to regions.
>
> Unless there's some compelling reason why they should be different, I think
> I'd rather regions "followed the regular CSS rendering model" as you say at
> the end... and did not create a new stacking context unless other CSS
> properties on the region dictated it.

Where are the stacking rules for inline breaking defined? And do you have a
ready example of overlapping element fragments? I can easily overlap text
where font-size is larger than line-height, but I'm guessing you have a
different overlap situation in mind.

Thanks,

Alan