Re: [css3-regions] regions forming stacking contexts

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:45:59 -0800
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
> Where are the stacking rules for inline breaking defined? And do you have a
> ready example of overlapping element fragments? I can easily overlap text
> where font-size is larger than line-height, but I'm guessing you have a
> different overlap situation in mind.

I'm not sure where they're defined, but I believe she basically *was*
talking about that, and here's an example:

<!DOCTYPE html>
  foo
  foo
div { width: 8em; line-height: 10px;}
span { background: rgba(0,0,0,.2); }

The <span> is overlapping itself due to inline breaking here.  The
stacking order is determined by normal CSS rules, such that the second
fragment is on top of the first.