From: Phil Cupp
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 9:33 PM
To: Alexander Shpack ; www-style
Subject: RE: Proposition. Positioning content with guidelines

> From: Alexander Shpack [mailto:shadowkin@gmail.com]
> In continuation to the topic
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Sep/0097.html
> This is my second attempt, I changed the guideline declaration, make more
> examples.

Hi Alexander,

Before jumping to a new solution I think it would be helpful to articulate
the problems you'd like to see solved.  Maybe some of them already have
solutions or some could be solved with minor changes to existing specs and
maybe some problems shouldn't be solved with CSS.  It's difficult for me to
reverse engineer what those problems are by studying the beginnings of a new
specification.

>From your discussion with Francois REMY it seems one of the perceived
>problems may be that everything must be explicitly positioned on the grid,
>and for some scenarios it might be simpler (or necessary) to infer
>something about the proper position of a grid item based on its source
>order or other CSS properties.

Does that sound right?  If so, then I think Francois has it right: the grid
auto placement feature is meant to address these issues, but still needs
some work.  Now is a great time to highlight what scenarios are important to
solve with the auto placement algorithm.

What would really be helpful for me is a list of layouts that you'd like to
achieve that you think can't be accomplished through some combination of our
existing layout types, and why it's important to achieve those using CSS (in
particular with the grid).

-Phil