RE: [css3-grid-layout] semantic zoom in grid's templates

From: Phil Cupp <pcupp@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 21:25:21 +0000
To: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, Markus Mielke <mmielke@microsoft.com>
CC: CSS 3 W3C Group <www-style@w3.org>, Alexander Shpack <shadowkin@gmail.com>
> From: François REMY [mailto:fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr]
> This proposal is quite simple: it would allow to define sub-cells using parenthesis, and sub-rows using slashes. Strings using parenthesis and slashes woud desugar in any number of string needed to have equivalent output.
> Sample:
> grid-template:
> “ab(x/y)(rs/t/u)”;
>
>instead of
> grid-template:
>“abxrs”
>“abxrs”
>“abxtt”
>“abytt”
>“abyuu”
>“abyuu”;

[pcupp] What's the goal of the sub-cell(do you mean sub-column)/row syntax?  In general the grid-template property can only express a subset of the layouts that are possible with the grid, so I see its utility purely as a means to visualize the grid you are trying to create.  I have a tough time seeing how the two template definitions above are equivalent, so IMO it fails the "easy to visualize test".