Re: [css3-images] Referencing <svg> element directly with element()

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:30:35 -0800
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> This is fine, actually.  Even if the property that caused it to be not
>> rendered is inherited (and switching off the inheritance would return
>> it to being rendered), it's already in the "draw as a paint source"
>> clause.  As a paint source, it uses its intrinsic appearance, which is
>> completely unaffected by layout.
>
> This is an incredibly huge pain to implement in the face of dynamic chages,
> because to do dynamic changes properly you need a useful concept of the "old
> style", and you're completely breaking that because the "old style" suddenly
> has circular dependencies on itself.
>
> This approach is not workable as currently written, imo.

We have an existence proof that it's workable, given that Firefox
already implements this behavior:
<http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/1355>.
Just remove the / guarding the 'display' property, and the image will
revert back to its paint-source appearance, sans border or size
change.