Re: [css3-page][css3-mediaqueries] Changing element styles on page breaks

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2012, at 1:02 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
>>  I think that selectors3 do not allow selecting descendants of :first-line
>> (Pseudo-elements are only allowed at the end of a selector.)
>
> Doh. I always forget that weird restriction.
>
>> Is that in selectors4?
>
> Don't know. I hope the restriction gets removed. I don't understand why it
> needs to be limited that way. If I can set a separate color to the first
> line of a span of text, why can't I also set a separate color to a the part
> of an inner span within the first line?

Because the well-behaved pseudo-elements are leaf nodes, while
::first-line either has descendants (and thus the box-tree is no
longer a tree, as elements have two parents), or is broken up and
nested tightly inside of elements (in which case it's a leaf node).

Depending on how Web Components handle selectors, we may eventually
have well-behaved non-leaf pseudo-elements, but they don't exist yet.