RE: [css3-grid] [css3-layout] Template Slot Names

I need to read up on this area.  I'll do as you suggest here: "I would mark this as an issue and ask i18n for feedback."

-----Original Message-----
From: fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net]
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 7:49 AM
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: [css3-grid] [css3-layout] Template Slot Names

The template slots are defined as a "letter", but this is imprecise.
They should probably be defined as CSS identifiers consisting of a single grapheme cluster. You could also consider restricting them to start with nmstart. Either way this will loop in the appropriate character range restrictions using existing definitions in CSS.

The definition of grapheme cluster in this instance needs to be marked as non-tailorable. I am unsure whether legacy or extended grapheme clusters are appropriate in this case; I would mark this as an issue and ask i18n for feedback. (Elsewhere in CSS we use extended grapheme clusters and allow tailoring, but that is because they are used for rendering interpretation, not syntactic interpretation.)

(We could restrict slot names to a single nmstart character; however this would mean that whether à is a valid slot name depends on the style sheet's Unicode normalization form, which seems like a bad
idea.)

~fantasai