[css3-grid] [css3-layout] Template Slot Names

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:49:23 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
The template slots are defined as a "letter", but this is imprecise.
They should probably be defined as CSS identifiers consisting of a
single grapheme cluster. You could also consider restricting them to
start with nmstart. Either way this will loop in the appropriate
character range restrictions using existing definitions in CSS.

The definition of grapheme cluster in this instance needs to be marked
as non-tailorable. I am unsure whether legacy or extended grapheme
clusters are appropriate in this case; I would mark this as an issue
and ask i18n for feedback. (Elsewhere in CSS we use extended grapheme
clusters and allow tailoring, but that is because they are used for
rendering interpretation, not syntactic interpretation.)

(We could restrict slot names to a single nmstart character; however
this would mean that whether  is a valid slot name depends on the
style sheet's Unicode normalization form, which seems like a bad
idea.)

~fantasai