Re: [css3-values] Physical length units

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 19:58:57 -0500
To: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>
CC: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net>, www-style@w3.org
On 2/19/12 4:58 PM, Lea Verou wrote:
> I wasn't implying that truemm will replace ems. But when most authors
> use ems, they still define the root font-size in pixels, and then use
> ems to increase or decrease it as necessary. That root font-size would
> be much better off with truemm.

No, it wouldn't.

> Because 8mm (physical mm) is always 8mm

Yes, but different screens are held at different distances from the
eyes.  The difference between my tablet viewing distance and my desktop
viewing distance is a factor of 2 or so.

> so if 8mm is sufficient to make
> type legible in one screen, it will be in all screens.

No.  That's just false.  If 8mm is just sufficient on a cell phone, that
almost certainly way too small on a desktop.

> 30 (device) pixels on the other hand might be legible in a screen with a certain dpi
> and too small in another, high-res screen.

Which is why we have CSS px which are not at all the same thing as
device px....

-Boris