Re: [css3-values] Physical length units

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 19:53:44 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
On 2/19/12 3:37 PM, Lea Verou wrote:
> Of course not. Zooming is zooming

That's a nonsensical statement.  In practice, I believe there are at
least 3 fundamentally different zooming implementations on the market
that have quite different behavior in various situations.

> Any kind of length, really! Font-sizes, widths, heights, anything we
> want to have the same size in all screens (and we usually do).

If you want a font to be the same physical height on a tablet, a phone,
and a laptop, you're doing it wrong.  They have three different viewing
distances!

If this is the use case people want "real" physical units for, that's
the best argument I have ever heard for NOT having such units.

-Boris