Re: [css3-values] Physical length units

From: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 01:34:23 +0200
To: robert@ocallahan.org
CC: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net>, www-style@w3.org
On 20/2/12 01:08, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> No, that's a surefire way to write pages that are unusable across
> different kinds of devices.
> The only use-cases for truemm are when you need content matching the
> size of some real-world object, e.g. a ruler, or a life-size image, or
> a human fingertip. That's it.
> Ask yourself, "do I really want this content to be the same physical
> size on a phone and a wall projector?" If the answer is yes, use
> truemm, otherwise don't.
A wall projector is a special case anyway. Even in the use cases you
mentioned, you probably wouldn't want those objects to be that small on
a projector as well. But you would want them to have a consistent size
across desktop screens and phones. Special cases like projectors is why
we have media queries (and why the resolution media query should
continue being about physical dpi).

Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)