Re: [css3-values] Physical length units

From: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 01:34:23 +0200
To: robert@ocallahan.org
CC: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net>, www-style@w3.org
On 20/2/12 01:08, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> No, that's a surefire way to write pages that are unusable across
> different kinds of devices.
>
> The only use-cases for truemm are when you need content matching the
> size of some real-world object, e.g. a ruler, or a life-size image, or
> a human fingertip. That's it.
>
> Ask yourself, "do I really want this content to be the same physical
> size on a phone and a wall projector?" If the answer is yes, use
> truemm, otherwise don't.
A wall projector is a special case anyway. Even in the use cases you
mentioned, you probably wouldn't want those objects to be that small on
a projector as well. But you would want them to have a consistent size
across desktop screens and phones. Special cases like projectors is why
we have media queries (and why the resolution media query should
continue being about physical dpi).

--
Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)