[css3-values] Physical length units (was: [css3-mediaqueries] DPI in resolution media queries)

From: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:31:43 +0200
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 15/2/12 18:55, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Mozilla has proposed a way to do that ("truemm").  No one else seemed
> interested, which is why I assume it's not in CSS3 Values and Units...
>
> Would that be enough to address the use cases you're thinking of?
>
> -Boris
>
> P.S.  No opinion on the media queries part; I think we should do
> "truemm" no matter what happens with media queries.
Yes! That would totally solve it. Although `truemm` is a but unwieldy.
Some kind of switch that modifies how `mm`,`cm` and `in` behave would be
better IMO.

If the platform doesn't have sufficient information to calculate the
physical DPI, it could fall back to 96.

Potential issue: non-square pixels (quite common in LCD screens that are
not at their native resolution).