RE: [css3-grid-layout] Renaming implicitly named lines, reverse grid indices

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 19:26:10 +0000
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
 From: fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net]
 Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:10 AM

 The Grid Layout spec implicitly defines 'start' and 'end' as the first and last lines of the
 grid, respectively. While this might make sense for grid columns, it conflicts with our
 logical naming scheme when applied to grid rows. Therefore, if such keywords are needed, I
 suggest using 'first' and 'last' (as used by one of the examples for explicitly-named
 lines).

Are there other places where "first" and "last" are used with similar meaning?

Renaming for consistency elsewhere would be a good reason.

Renaming because there is something wrong with grid having symmetrical model in 2 dimensions seems questionable. We have chosen to use start/end for 'flex-align' *because* it is what grid is using - with same motivation. Why would we suddenly become shy of naming grid lines to match alignment directions??