Re: Vendor Prefix solutions

Am 11.02.2012 19:18 schrieb Witold Baryluk:
> On 02-10 16:54, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>> That doesn't solve the problem vendors are trying to address: poor web
>> developers only using one vendor prefix, meaning all the other
>> browsers (which are capable of the same function) don't get .
>

> This problem cannot be solved by vendor prefixes. This can be done essentially
> only: 1) using preprocessors; 2) speeding up W3C standarization process.
>
> And actually this crazy expieration prefixes idea helps both of this
> ways. It also helps indirectly by improving web developers knowledge
> (because many webdevelopers just do not know this prefixes are
> experimental, they think they will not introduce any problems now or in
> the future - but by introducing dates into prefixes, they will ask
> themself "What will happen after 2013 with this prefix?")

By the way, adding years to the prefixes would also address the issue
raised by Lea Verou:

Am 10.02.2012 22:10 schrieb Lea Verou:
 > I was just reading Remy Sharp’s post on vendor prefixes [1] and it
made me realize one more issue with the current vendor prefixes system.

 > Quoting him:
 >> I honestly can't tell what's a real property from the CSS specs
compared to something made up by the vendor (from what I can tell
webkit-text-size-adjust is one of those examples)

 > *This is an important distinction*. Experimental implementations of
ED/WD features should be obviously different than proprietary features
like -webkit-box-reflect. Many developers *do* care about standards.
They want to help implementors and the W3C by testing out early drafts.
They don't want to encourage "cowboy implementors", i.e. UAs
implementing whatever they come up with without any standardization
attempt. But they can't tell the difference. Especially since so many
websites promote these things as part of CSS3 [2].

 > [1]: http://remysharp.com/2012/02/09/vendor-prefixes-about-to-go-south/
 > [2]: http://css3clickchart.com/#text-stroke

While experimental properties would be marked by the expiration date,
one could assume that non-expiring vendor-prefixed properties are
proprietary.