Re: [css3-transforms] translate() vs. translate3d()

Yes,
scaleOrientation seems complex, but you could always hide that complexity
in a tool.

Flash has a rotateX, rotateY and rotateZ that map to skewX/Y/Z in the
application that just rotate the element around an axis. Designers very
often uses this to mimic a 3D transform without actually having to know
about perspective, projection, etc. (My son's game system is using this
effect in many animations)
It would be nice if there was a way to somehow express it in CSS/SVG...

Rik