Re: Vendor Prefixes and Generic Prefixes: who shall use which when and why?

I've changed my mind on this recently.

The web is a huge success because of it's low barrier to entry. It is
incredibly easy to *start* building websites, but much harder to
*master* it. And there are a lot of people on the lower parts of the
scale who build commercial websites. Of course many do it badly.

So, I think it's time we took the new toys off them. They've shown to
be irresponsible, they're hurting the web. Not the people that grok
web standards, I mean the learners. The *mis*-use of features.

Silo experimental properties into developer builds of browsers, and
keep public builds free of them. It's the only way to stop ignorant
developers using these features irresponsibly on production sites.

Of course, this is a browser issue much more than a Standards issue.
There's nothing wrong with vendor prefixes in and of themselves.
Personally I'm inclined to prefer letting incompetent developers shoot
themselves in the foot and deal with the consequences - but if vendors
allow that then they fear they'll lose market share. So it's not going
to happen.