Re: Mailing list traffic

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 13:46:38 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
Barton Tyner wrote:

> I find it really helpful when a list like this one has a consistent
> string in the subject line (e.g., [css-discuss]). This allows my email
> client to recognize that string and send the message to a folder for
> the list's emails. It cuts down on the amount of email that goes
> directly to my inbox. Unfortunately, this list doesn't do that, and
> there have been times when I've considered un-subscribing to the list
> for this reason.

It seems that you're unfamiliar with the List-Id header. It can be used
by email clients for filtering email sent to a mailing list. You can
learn about it here:

                 http://www.w3.org/Mail/subject-tagging

The List-Id header's value for this list is <www-style.w3.org>.

> I like the idea of having individual topics. Could they be prefixed
> with a short consistent string that would allow email clients to
> detect it for rules?

This is already done: list participants are encouraged to prefix the
subject of their messages with the CSS module in question. For instance,
an email about CSS3 Images would have a subject line starting with
[css3-images].

Ted