Re: [css3-images] Fwd: CSS Gradient Notation

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> So, I see two technical arguments in favor of reverting the change and
> none in favor. Based on that I can't really justify keeping the 'to'.
> The arguments are:
>  1. Reverting is more compatible with existing usage out there, since
>     the older variants of linear-gradient() are compatible with the
>     request to not use 'to'.
>  2. The 'to' preposition is incompatible with the functional notation
>     principles you sent out, and the CSSWG adopted, in
>       http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jan/0933.html
>     Namely, that keywords are only to be used as a last resort for
>     parsing disambiguation where needed.
>
> The argument in favor of rejecting the comment is that the WG discussed
> the issue already and made a resolution on it and therefore doesn't want
> to reopen the issue. This is an argument, but not a technical one. I'll
> also note we do have additional information, i.e. principle #2, that we
> didn't have when we made that resolution.
>
> So, weighing the arguments, I'm uncomfortable with rejecting this comment
> without a change.

I'm not changing a thing in this regard without a WG resolution
commanding it.  We've had resolutions for the current syntax, I'm
happy with the current syntax, and the entire syntax *thing* has been
incredibly painful, which another change will not help with.

If you can convince the WG to agree with you, I will happily make the
change.  You've got two weeks until CR.