[css3-images] CSS element reference identifier

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 19:26:15 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/#element-reference
(Overview.html revision 1.269) says the following:

  # (CSS does not define how an element acquires a CSS element
  # reference identifier; that is determined by the host language.)

I think this should have more useful text.  For example, it could
say:

  For example, for [HTML5], see the definition of CSSElementMap at

Even better, it could perhaps even define the behavior for HTML, but
allow other languages to define different behavior.

I think specifying features in CSS that require the host language to
define something, without giving any hint as to what happens for the
common use case, is a bad idea.  It makes it hard for readers of the
specification to figure out how to use the language, and it has the
potential to create a gap between specifications that's never filled
in.

-David