Re: Mailing list traffic

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 14:43:27 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
Karl Dubost:
> Le 1 févr. 2012 à 06:24, Daniel Glazman a écrit :
>> end up with four times more traffic to read and digest.

Not unlikely indeed.

> We may try as a group to label the mails, though such efforts in large open (and changing) community is usually doom to fail.

Most threads that are specific to a certain module are labeled accordingly, and the spec boilerplate asks everyone to do so. That’s much more helpful than, for instance, the simplistic “[whatwg]” the WHATWG list automatically adds to every message.

GNU Mailman supports “topics” generated from the Subject or Keywords headers <http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-member/node29.html>, e.g. by matching them to such tags. Each subscriber can then choose the topics to receive instead of filtering threads locally (which is what I and probably many others do currently). I assume other mailing list software offers similar thematic opt-in or opt-out mechanisms, but I don’t know about the one the W3C uses.