[css3-ui][issue] resize doesn't describe actual UA's behavior

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 22:58:40 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Hi all,

I just wanted to post a small bug report for the css3-ui spec [1]:

The specced 'resize' proprety's behavior is *completely* different from the behavior implemented in browsers supporting the property (FireFox/Chrome).

The spec proposes to create "scaling factors" for the element when the user resizes it that stick even if the size of the element changes (:hover...) (but that's a problem according to me because there's no way for a script to understand that scaling factor).

To the contrary, browsers implement the resize property by allowing the user to set the inline-style's width/height properties on the resizable element. In all UAs that support 'resize', an "!important" rule will make the resize ineffective.

I believe we should update the spec to match the UAs implementation (something I propose would however be to set min-width instead of width to allow hover effects to work expectedly).

Best regards,
François

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-ui/#resize