Re: Initial values for widows and orphans

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 19:19:50 +0100, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2012, at 2:41 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> I know of one buggy page -
>> <http://www.bionicsquirrels.com/category/flash-games> (tries to make a
>> grid of articles by having [number_of_rows] divs each with
>> column-count:3 and containing three 99%-width inline-block articles).
>> It's apparently some WordPress theme so it's possible there are more
>> such pages, but so far I haven't seen the need to escalate beyond our
>> own site compatibility efforts ("Open The Web" evangelism, site
>> patching).
>
> Can you explain what breaks? Does it screw up the printing somehow? I
> don't have access to an Opera browser at the moment.

No, this one does not depend on printing since 'orphans' and 'widows' has
been specified to apply for other types of fragmentation as well, like
column breaking. Each multicol div has three lines (one <article> per
line), so we end up with all three in the first column (and empty space on
the right) instead of one per column.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Opera Software ASA