[css3-syntax] !important is ASCII case-insensitive

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:46:57 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Hi,

Section 4.1.3 of CSS 2.1 says:

> All CSS syntax is case-insensitive within the ASCII range (i.e.,
> [a-z] and [A-Z] are equivalent), except for parts that are not under
> the control of CSS.

My understanding is that this applies to !important. This is indeed the
case in Firefox, Chromium and Opera. (I don’t have IE to test.)
Test case:

data:text/html,<style>body{background:green!ImPortant;background:red}

Therefore, when css3-syntax section 3.5.9 says

> ident token with a value of "important"

It should say: ident token whose value is an ASCII case-insensitive
match for "important".

I hope not to get into the debate of what kind case-insensitivity, but
this (with an upper-case dotted i) is red in the same three implementations:

data:text/html,<style>body{background:green!İmPortant;background:red}

Cheers,
--
Simon Sapin