Re: [css3-gcpm] maybe-floats vs "in-flow"

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 00:44:19 +0200
To: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Peter Moulder:

 > > I think that the spec should at least draw attention to this sort of
 > > consequence of the float-or-in-flow decision for such a box.
 > In particular, the existing specified behaviour as I understand it
 > has significant implications for the architecture of print-based UAs
 > (or other non-interactive UAs), which might not otherwise have any need
 > to be able to make such deep modifications to the box tree after the
 > initial box tree is created and layout (coordinate assignment) has begun.

It seems that we should make element floats if there's a chance of
them becoming floats. I've added this text to the draft:

  An element is considered to be a float if it has a snap() value,
  even if the element does not appear within the specified distance.
  This way, it can be determined whether an element is float or not
  without laying out the document.

Let me know if you have other suggestions.