Re: [css3-gcpm] maybe-floats vs "in-flow"

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 00:44:19 +0200
To: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Peter Moulder:

 > > I think that the spec should at least draw attention to this sort of
 > > consequence of the float-or-in-flow decision for such a box.
 >
 > In particular, the existing specified behaviour as I understand it
 > has significant implications for the architecture of print-based UAs
 > (or other non-interactive UAs), which might not otherwise have any need
 > to be able to make such deep modifications to the box tree after the
 > initial box tree is created and layout (coordinate assignment) has begun.

It seems that we should make element floats if there's a chance of
them becoming floats. I've added this text to the draft:

  An element is considered to be a float if it has a snap() value,
  even if the element does not appear within the specified distance.
  This way, it can be determined whether an element is float or not
  without laying out the document.

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#page-and-column-floats

Let me know if you have other suggestions.

-h&kon