Re: [css3-gcpm] Re: conditional floats on paged media

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 00:55:50 +0200
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Cc: liam@w3.org, Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>, www-style@w3.org, Michel Onoff <michel.onoff@web.de>
Also sprach Cameron McCormack:

 > >    :target-placement(attr(href url), page, same)
 > >    :target-layout(attr(href url), page, same)
 > >    :target-place(attr(href url), page, same)
 > >
 > > This I could more easily understand.
 >
 > Yes that looks more understandable, although I thought by having it work
 > on counter values rather than pages you could use the same mechanism for
 > having references like "previous section", "next chapter", etc.

Ok. But page counters are treacherous, the can be reset (as you
noted in your message). I think it should be possible for
implementation to determine next/same/previous pages without fetching
counter values.

 > >    a:target-layout(attr(href url), same, column) { content: "in this column" }
 > >    a:target-layout(attr(href url), next, column) { content: "in the next column" }
 > >    a:target-layout(attr(href url), next, page) { content: "on the next page" }
 > >
 > > but we can't easily generate these:
 > >
 > >    "in the first column on the next page"
 > >    "in column 2 on the next page"
 > >
 > > That's probably ok.
 >
 > "spread" seems good.  I'm not sure I've ever seen text that mentions "in
 > this column", but it shouldn't be harder to support that than pages.

Indeed, the use case is slim. Perhaps we can reduce the number of
arguments by only doing pages. I've added this simplified example to
the draft:

  a:target-layout(attr(href url), same-page) { content: " on this page" }
  a:target-layout(attr(href url), next-page) { content: " on the next page" }
  a:target-layout(attr(href url), previous-page) { content: " on the previous page" }

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#conditional-text

Potentially, we could add more keywords:

  a:target-layout(attr(href url), floated-right) { content: " on the right" }
  a:target-layout(attr(href url), top-of-page) { content: " on the top" }

Or not.

-h&kon