Re: [css3-conditional] navigator.supportsCSS rather than window.supportsCSS

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:10:11 -0400
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
CC: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 8/15/12 3:39 AM, Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Glenn Adams:
>> I believe this is intended to be a function of the browser in general,
>> independent of whether operating in quirks mode or not, which is
>> effectively under author control. So NO, it should not be defined on
>> Document.
>
> Is supportsCSS() even meant to take quirks mode into account?

Well, @supports certainly should, I think: the whole point of @supports
is to test what's supported in the document being styled.

Whether the DOM API should match that is an interesting question.  I
think it should, for consistency.

That doesn't preclude having this hang off a Window or window.CSS; in
either case the current document is easily accessible.

-Boris