Re: [css3-conditional] navigator.supportsCSS rather than window.supportsCSS

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:39:48 +1000
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
CC: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Glenn Adams:
> I believe this is intended to be a function of the browser in general,
> independent of whether operating in quirks mode or not, which is
> effectively under author control. So NO, it should not be defined on
> Document.

Is supportsCSS() even meant to take quirks mode into account?  If so,
then I'd think that calling window.supportsCSS() would use the quirks
mode flag of that window's document.  I don't think it's necessary to
support quirks mode dependent behaviour of supportsCSS() based on
arbitrary documents created with createDocument() or XHR.

But anyway, I'm not sure there's much value in having supportsCSS() --
or @supports -- honours quirks mode at all.

Gecko does by accident, incidentally:

http://people.mozilla.org/~cmccormack/tests/supports-quirks-1.html
http://people.mozilla.org/~cmccormack/tests/supports-quirks-2.html