Re: [css4-images] First draft of css4-images, feedback requested

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 17:19:41 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, "Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin" <aharon@google.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Kang-Hao Lu <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm. So far, it seems like unnecessary complication. You have 'src', 'size', and 'repeat' duplicating what are already available as background properties. I think having 'background-rotate' would be a whole lot simpler and easier for authors, and satisfy most of the use cases. The @rule would primarily be for so we can include list item images, border images, cursors, and 'content' images? Doesn't really seem worth it to me, whereas 'background-rotate' would be more widely useful while keeping it simple. The @rule seems like a more complicated replacement of background in order to get marginally broader in what you can apply it to.

Correct - the background-* properties already do a *ton* of stuff.
The problem is when people want similar functionality in all the new
things that accept images.  You list the ones in current CR-level
specs, but even more are appearing, like 'mask' from SVG, or an
advanced form of 'pointer-events' that takes an alpha mask. Webkit's
weirdo independent implementation of -webkit-mask takes the "screw it,
let's just copy them all over" approach, but that's really inelegant
and frankly kinda dumb.