RE: [css3-regions][css3-multicol] Regions example

Alex Mogilevsky wrote:

 > ± The example in Figure 1 and Figure 2 of the Regions spec is nice.
 > ± However, it seems to me that the styling of the lead paragrah (in this case the
 > ± introduction) is, more often than not, based on the structure rather than the layout. So, in
 > ± most magazines, the whole lead paragrah
 > ± -- and not just the words that happen to fit in a predinde box -- would be in bold. This is
 > ± for example the case in The Economist.
 >
 > In some publications (like Wired) it seems that special formatting
 > in first column or page happens more often than not... (I've
 > attached a random example)

It's a good use case [1]. The structure seems to be:

  <article>
    <h1>One-Hit Wondor</h1>
    <h2>The guy behind .... </h2>

  </article>

I'm inspired by Michael's proposal for page pseudo-elements [2].
Perhaps we also could do column pseudo-elements, too? E.g.

  article { columns: 2 }
  article::column(1) { font-size: 1.2em; width: 120% }

The last line in the example above would style the first column; the
font size of its content and the width of the column would increase
(thereby decreasing the width of the neighboring columns).

What would the example look like in the proposed Regions syntax?

We could use abspos to make columns to really wild things:

  article { columns: 2 }
  article::column(1) {
     position: absolute;
  }

In this scenario, columns could be moved freely around, but they would
still retain the flow of content from one to the other. As such
columns have been turned into regions. No?

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Aug/0262.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Oct/0722.html

-h&kon