Re: [css3-regions][css3-multicol] Regions example

On Oct 26, 2011, at 10:36 PM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> We could use abspos to make columns to really wild things:
>
>  article { columns: 2 }
>  article::column(1) {
>     position: absolute;
>  }
>
> In this scenario, columns could be moved freely around, but they would
> still retain the flow of content from one to the other. As such
> columns have been turned into regions. No?

Essentially yes. I am planning on re-implementing columns as regions in WebKit, and I think of them as a special case of the more generic system. I would love to see columns become addressable like this, and I think adding the ability to specify positioning rules for columns would be very powerful.

You also want to be able to have "templates" for your various page types and be able to specify how the generated columns should look on those pages. In other words rather than necessarily thinking about just "first page" or "subsequent pages", identify templates via names for the types of pages you might generate, e.g., "two-column-page", "chapter header page", etc., and then be able to define the column templates for each.

As I mentioned in a previous message, I prefer pseudo-classes to elements, since pseudo-element rules typically imply they are doing the generation of the element, and that's not what happens in this case (the layout algorithm already made the columns and pages). I don't feel that strongly though.

I'd love to have a way to select columns, though, because then I could support region styling on those columns. Similarly, I'd love to have a way to select any page as well (and not just the first page), either by nth-page or by page template type, e.g., "header page", "figure page", "content page".

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)