Re: [css3-gcpm] paged presentations, page floats, paged navigation between documents

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 23:02:49 +0200
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
Also sprach David Hyatt:

 > I'm also of the opinion that pagination really only needs to be a
 > document/viewport-level feature. I don't really see any compelling
 > use case for making overflow divs in a page able to have a
 > pagination mode.

I see use cases for this and Opera's implementation support it. You
often want menus or mastheads to remain fixed on the page while the
main content is paginated. For example, NYT implemens this in their
skimmer:

   http://www.nytimes.com/skimmer

The menu on the right and the headline of the article remains, while
the body text of the article is paginated.

I'm not sure we need pages within pages, though. Hmm.

-h&kon