Re: [css3-gcpm] paged presentations, page floats, paged navigation between documents

On Oct 12, 2011, at 3:51 PM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Also sprach David Hyatt:
>
>> Basically as long as you tell me that if no multicol is used that I
>> still can paginate pages and have them placed in a horizontal strip
>> using paged-x, but that the pagination happened along the block
>> axis, then I think we're not too far off from one another.
>
> I don't think we too far.
>
> For sure, we paginate even if CSS multicol properties are not used.
>
> And, if you by "pagination happens along the block axis" mean that
> page breaks occur due to constraints in the block direction, yes.
> Here's one of the examples in GCPM:
>
>  html {
>    overflow: paged-x;
>    height: 100%;
>  }
>
> The setting on 'height' is a constraint in the block direction and is
> the cause for page breaks. Without that constraint, there are no
> pages; unless you constrain the element in the block direction,
> pagination will not occur.

I see. Then my remaining concern (sent in the other email message) is how I can show more than one page at once. This is a necessary feature for us in iBooks, and the need to show 2 pages at once with vertical-rl is what is motivating us to move away from our multi-column horizontal strip hack.

Perhaps being able to specify the size in @page somehow could be used to define this?

>> In other words, I think pagination should always be along the block
>> axis, but that page placement could perhaps be controllable. Maybe
>> that's what you really mean with this syntax? It's certainly a
>> valid interpretation to state that paged-x and paged-y are only
>> about paged placement, and that once paginated you always paginate
>> along the block axis (knowing that instead of putting columns in a
>> strip, you'd break them up and move them to the next page).
>
> I think we agree. Let me try to restate: "paged-x" and "paged-y" only
> describe how pages (that have been created due to constraints in the
> block direction) are placed in relation to each other; "paged-x"
> results in a horizontal stripe of pages, ane "paged-y" results in a
> vertical strip of pages.

Ah, ok, great. That is what I was hoping.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)