Re: [css3-animations] display:none, visibility:hidden and animations

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 16:04:14 -0700
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Tab:
>> If you ignore
>> performance optimizations, the only thing that display:none really
>> does is prevent you from doing "used values"
>
> I realize it's an old draft and the language has changed in the CSS4 flavor, but cases like this are part of what I was concerned about:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-css3-images-20110217/#interpolating-gradients
> 11.2, second list
> # 1.Convert both the start and end gradients to their used value.

Yes, internal argument over how gradient interpolation should work is
part of what made me remove it for now.  ^_^  I now think I agree with
Simon Fraser's stance that transitions definitely take place over
computed values; that implies that we need to invent a syntax to
represent computed-level intermediate states, for the times when you
can't literally use the computed values (something like
"transition(<val1>,<val2>,<percentage>)").  That way, you can still
carry around a computed value that just represents the blend, and then
resolve it down to the exact value later, similar to transitioning
from "20px" to "50%" using calc().

> I'm also curious what "display:none;" does to percentage values (everywhere) that are resolved against the used width/height w/r/t transitioning.

I'm not going to try and hunt it down right now, but I *think* 2.1
already resolves this by saying they resolve to 0.  If not, some
language like that can be minted.  It's a solvable problem.