RE: [css-image] gradients, animations and photosensitive epilepsy

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 20:38:38 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
CC: CSS 3 W3C Group <www-style@w3.org>
For the general problem, perhaps a "human sensitivity" attribute in the rendering UA could be established as an Accessibility feature.

When that attribute is set to some specific value, perhaps gradients and other features could be muted or otherwise adjusted to mitigate the seizure risk.

Alan raised the concern about the separation between stops, but I suspect quick switches in colors as well as animation and transition rates are of concern as well.  Perhaps the Moire' patterns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Moir%C3%A9.gif) of radial gradients are also a concern.

In retrospect, I'm somewhat surprised this issue hasn't been raised before.