Re: [css-image] gradients, animations and photosensitive epilepsy

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 13:45:55 -0700
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Cc: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>, CSS 3 W3C Group <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> For the general problem, perhaps a "human sensitivity" attribute in the rendering UA could be established as an Accessibility feature.
>
> When that attribute is set to some specific value, perhaps gradients and other features could be muted or otherwise adjusted to mitigate the seizure risk.
>
> Alan raised the concern about the separation between stops, but I suspect quick switches in colors as well as animation and transition rates are of concern as well.  Perhaps the Moire' patterns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Moir%C3%A9.gif) of radial gradients are also a concern.
>
> In retrospect, I'm somewhat surprised this issue hasn't been raised before.

Yes, this seems like the sort of thing that is completely in the hands
of the UA to do if they wish, considering the many places where the
problem could potentially occur.  To do this "right", you have to not
only vet all the gradients, but process all other images, looking for
a sufficient density of contrast-switches.

~TJ