Re: [css3-images] What does image-resolution apply to?

On May 24, 2011, at 7:36 PM, MURAKAMI Shinyu wrote:

> "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote on 2011/05/24 8:19:56
>> We have an issue in the Image Values spec about precisely what the
>> image-resolution property applies to.  There are two possibilities:
>>
>> 1) image-resolution only applies to replaced elements, and only
>> affects their content.
>>
>> 2) image-resolution applies to all elements, and affects all images
>> used on them: content images, background images, etc.
>>
>> You can use the image() function to change the resolution of images
>> used in CSS properties, so we don't actually lose any power if we go
>> with #1.
>>
>> As far as I know, this property is currently only implemented by
>> Prince and Antenna House's formatter.  I don't have either of these to
>> test, and the docs for both are pretty bad, at least for this
>> property, so I can't tell what they actually do.  I'd be fine with
>> just speccing whatever behavior they have, if someone would tell me
>> what it is.
>>
>> ~TJ
>
> Antenna House Formatter has -ah-image-resolution and -ah-background-image-resolution
> properties based on a draft of CSS3 GCPM.
> The -ah-background-image-resolution is for background images and
> the -ah-image-resolution is for the rest -- replaced elements, images
> specified by the 'content' property, list-style-image, etc.
>
> We have not implemented the image() function yet, but if we can use
> the image() function to change the resolution of images used in CSS properties,
> the image-resolution property can apply to all (including background) as
> default resolution (authors can change using the image() function).
> So the #2 option seems good for me.

So it seems there is an advantage to using 'image-resolution': the value is inherited, so that you could set it once on, say, the body, and you don't have to set it again unless you want to override it on individual images (which you can then do via image() if you want).