Re: [css3-lists] Remaining feedback on the module

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Simon Montagu <smontagu@smontagu.org> wrote:
>> 11. Apparently, at least some hebrew books number their pages with a
>> simpler additive system which just uses the the characters associated
>> with 1-9, 10-90, and 100-400, then just repeats TAV (the character for
>> 400) repeatedly for larger numbers (so 1100 would be תתש, rather than
>> א׳ק).  Can I switch to *just* this system (allowing me to eliminate
>> the special definition of Hebrew in favor of a simple @counter-style
>> rule), or is there still a good case for the current definition?
>
> Hmmm... Hebrew is currently defined as "range: 1 infinite;", and even if
> "infinite" means 2^31, that is still going to result in a very, very long
> string ;-) I don't think repeated TAVs are sustainable above 2000 at the
> outside.

I can put it a more explicit limit, but this should be covered by the
blanket allowance that UAs are allowed to switch to the fallback style
if an additive or symbolic style would generate a bullet longer than
20 characters.

> FWIW, Gecko and Webkit both already implement the א׳ק style up to 999999.

Yeah, I'm just trying to reduce complexity here, and the current
definition appears to be both valid and used in the real world, and
capable of covering a sufficiently wide range to be useful.

> Please could you update my Contributor credit to "Simon Montagu, Mozilla,
> smontagu@smontagu.org"

Given the current style of the attribution section, I've added it as
"Simon Montagu (Mozilla, smontagu@smontagu.org)".  That okay?

~TJ