Re: [css3-lists] Remaining feedback on the module

I'm sorry not to have responded to this thread earlier, but I didn't
notice it until the messages this week

On 04/20/2011 12:59 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> 5. I'm told there's a Hebrew alphabetic system: "This uses the Hebrew
> letters without final
> forms, i.e. U05D0-U05EA excluding U05DA, U05DD, U05DF, U05E3 and
> U05E5".  I'd like some confirmation that this exists and is used,
> along with some confirmation of the given definition.

This exists as an option for numbered lists in (at least) LibreOffice
Writer and Microsoft Word. Unfortunately the definitions diverge after
22 entries: LibreOffice continues ...אא, אב, אג (i.e. \5d0\5d0,
\5d0\5d1, \5d0\5d2) but Word continues תא, תב, תג... (i.e. \5ea\5d0,
\5ea\5d1, \5ea\5d2).

> 11. Apparently, at least some hebrew books number their pages with a
> simpler additive system which just uses the the characters associated
> with 1-9, 10-90, and 100-400, then just repeats TAV (the character for
> 400) repeatedly for larger numbers (so 1100 would be תתש, rather than
> א׳ק).  Can I switch to *just* this system (allowing me to eliminate
> the special definition of Hebrew in favor of a simple @counter-style
> rule), or is there still a good case for the current definition?

Hmmm... Hebrew is currently defined as "range: 1 infinite;", and even if
"infinite" means 2^31, that is still going to result in a very, very
long string ;-) I don't think repeated TAVs are sustainable above 2000
at the outside.

FWIW, Gecko and Webkit both already implement the א׳ק style up to 999999.

Please could you update my Contributor credit to "Simon Montagu,
Mozilla, smontagu@smontagu.org"

Thanks,
Simon