Re: Gradients and background-repeat (Was: Re: Automatic spec annotations)

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 11:29:11 -0700
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>

On May 13, 2011, at 11:50 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:

> http://css-class.com/test/css/3/gradients/linear-gradients-repeat1.htm
>

> The examples 'Grate 3' and 'Grate 4' require an extra inner element that is rotated by 2D transforms. Now if I wanted to have text running from left to right (not rotated), I would have to add an additional element. If I could use background-rotate, then I wouldn't have to jump through such hoops.

I will save Tab the effort of pointing out that you could have done those with repeating-linear-gradient too, with no hoops. But it does illustrate that authors (like us) do tend to first try to use background properties as the means of repeating background ptterns, and that comes much more naturally than to consider offloading the tiling to within a single image.