Re: Gradients and background-repeat (Was: Re: Automatic spec annotations)

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 16:50:16 +1000
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 13/05/2011 3:36 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
> Here are some examples of this sort of thing that I put together a
> while back. The background rotation is simulated via a transform on a
> separate element, and the animation seems to require WebKit:
>
> http://bradclicks.com/cssplay/Gradient_Tiled_BG/index.html

I won't argue this. Great test Brad, and absolutely proves your point. I
will add to use cases with this test.

http://css-class.com/test/css/3/gradients/linear-gradients-repeat1.htm

The examples 'Grate 3' and 'Grate 4' require an extra inner element that
is rotated by 2D transforms. Now if I wanted to have text running from
left to right (not rotated), I would have to add an additional element.
If I could use background-rotate, then I wouldn't have to jump through
such hoops.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/