Radial Gradients and background-repeat (Was Re: Automatic spec annotations)

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 16:42:05 +1000
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
CC: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On 11/05/2011 5:02 AM, Brian Manthos wrote:
> Speaking of background-repeat vs. repeating- …
> # Repeating gradients could potentially be done by hooking into
> ‘background-repeat’,
> This line in the spec needs updating so that it explicitly refers to
> *linear* gradients.  Unless there’s some cool way to use
> background-repeat (a rectangular tile model) with radial gradients
> (circular model).
> • Brian

Repeating radial gradients are far better when wanting to create a
metallic look.

Upon looking at the specs [1], I have accidentally experimented with
ellipses without realizing it and I find that repeating radial gradients
with ellipses make better affects. Being able to have multiple layers,
some rotated and some not would really make some interesting affects.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/#radial-gradients

Alan Gresley